Return to Ohio Biographies
Return to Index
Henry Reynolds Hatch
THE LATE Henry Reynolds Hatch was for a long laps of years one of the leading men of affairs of the city of Cleveland, where he engaged in extensive mercantile pursuits, and in the declining years of his life was known as a philanthropist and benefactor of the general public. But first of all he was the good citizen and Christian gentleman. As such he lived, as such he died, as such he will be remembered by a vast circle of friends and admirers. His descendants can have no legacy of remembrance more honorable that this appraisement of the people among whom he lived and labored so many years. Kindly, cheerful, loyal to his own convictions, tolerant of those of others. standing for clean government, public improvements, simplicity, good citzenship [sic.], embodying in his private and public life all the virtues which adorn a character worth of emulation--such is the revelation which Mr. Hatch leaves to the world, as the real interpretation of a life translated into terms of human character.
Mr. Hatch was born in Vermont, October 9, 1831, on the farm of his parents, Abijah and Abigail Hatch. He grew up in the midst of rural scenes and received only a country-school education, and when about fifteen years old began clerking in a dry-goods store at Burlington, Vermont, where he remained for about eighteen months. In looking for larger and more promising fields of endeavor he started to Chicago, Illinois, but stopped at Cleveland, Ohio, where he met S. I. Baldwin, who was then a dry-goods merchant in that city, and he at once employed Mr. Hatch, who held a position in his store for about two years, making such a favorable impression on his employer that he was taken into the firm of S. I. Baldwin & Son, with which he remained for a number of years, then acquired a greater interest in the business, and the name of the firm was changed to E. J. Baldwin, Hatch & Company, until Mr. E. J. Baldwin's death, when it became H. R. Hatch & Co., which was continued until after Mr. Hatch retired, which was about yen years prior to his death. He was very successful in all his business enterprises, being a man of keen discernment, sound judgment and honest principles, and the house of H. R. Hatch & Company became one of the most reliable and high-class dry-goods firms of Cleveland, enjoying a very large and profitable business.
After retiring from mercantile pursuits, Mr. Hatch was busy with his numerous other interests, which were for the most part of a charitable and philanthropic nature, and the city of Cleveland owes him a debt of gratitude which cannot be paid for his great services in making it a better place in which to live. During a long laps of years he was very prominent in business circles there and active in many business organizations of importance, aside from the large store which bore his name. He was a director in the First National Bank, also in the Citizens Savings and Trust Co. and the Union National Bank. He was vice-president of the Society for Savings and vice-president of the Cleveland Humane Society, trustee of the Western Reserve University, the Lakeside Hospital and the Young Women's Christian Association. He was president of the Lakeview Cemetery Association for more than eighteen years, taking hold of its affairs when it was practically bankrupt and bringing it up to a sound financial condition.
Mr. Hatch was twice married, first in 1857, to Lida Baldwin, a daughter of S. I. Baldwin, of New Haven, Connecticut. To this union five children were born, namely: Alice Gertrude, who is the wife of Charles L. Pack, of Cleveland, has three children; Anne Louise is the wife of Prof. E. S. Meyer, of Cleveland, but has no children; three other children of our subject died when young. Mr. Hatch was married in 1887 to Mary C. Browne, of Newark, New Jersey; she was the daughter of Leonard P. and Matilda (Culver) Browne, both originally from Connecticut. Mr Browne was a prominent jewelry manufacturer of the city of Newark. Two children were born to our subject's second marriage, namely: Esther M. married Edward F. Lenihan, of Cleveland, August 4, 1915; Henry Reynolds Hatch [Jr.] is a student in Yale University.
Mr. Hatch was a strong Union sympathizer during the Civil War, but owing to an injury when a young man was unfitted for military service; however, he hired four substitutes and sent them to the front. Politically he was a Republican, but not active having been in no sense a politician. He was a member of the Union, Country, Hunt and Colonial clubs. However, he could not be called much of a club man, using the above-named clubs very largely as a matter of business, but spent very little time at any of them. He was very much devoted to his business affairs in his earlier career and later to the Lakeview Cemetery Association, his fine gardens and his beautiful home. He was happiest when by his own pleasant fireside, surrounded by his family. Among his many munificent gifts may be mentioned the following: He built and gave the Hatch Library to Adelbert College, built and gave to the Humane Society the "Lida Baldwin Infants' Rest" as a memorial to his first wife, built the stone office at the entrance to Lakeview Cemetery and gave it to the Association, in fact, he proved that he was possessed of broad, altruistic sentiment and a kind hear by frequent gifts and good deeds all his life. He was never appealed to in vain regarding any worthy cause. He was devoutly religious and was an influential member of the Calvary Presbyterian Church, in which he was an elder of the Calvary Presbyterian Church, in which he was an elder for many years, and was very active in all its affairs, in fact was a pillar in the same. He was president of the board of trustees, gave very freely of his time and means to his church, whose interests he had very much at heart.
Mr. Hatch was summoned to close his eyes on earthly scenes on May 20, 1915, in his eighty-fourth year, having thus lived a long, useful and most commendable life. Cleveland's leading daily had the following to say of his funeral, which was held two days later:
"Attended with many honors, the funeral of Henry R. Hatch, philanthropist, retired merchant, and trustee of Western Reserve University, was held yesterday afternoon at Calvary Presbyterian Church, Euclid Avenue and East Seventy-ninth Street, burial being in Lakeview Cemetery, the grounds of which Mr. Hatch had for many years been active in beautifying.
"Flags of the College for Women and Adelbert College were at half mast during the funeral services, which were conducted by Rev. Adelbert P. Higley, pastor of Calvary Church. Ten prominent business and professional men acted as honorary pallbearers. They were: H. N. Stats, H. P. Eells, J. H. Dempsey, C. F. Brush, R. K. Gowanlock, Thomas Wilson, Samuel Mather, Professor M. M. Curtiss, Dr. C. F. Thwing, L. H. Treadway, and Douglas Perkins."
Barbara's Bordered Backgrounds