William T. Martin, in his 1858 History of Franklin County, states:
“On the bank of the river in the north vicinity of the town is the old Franklinton burying ground. It embraces a beautiful little locust grove, enclosed with a board fence. This, it was supposed, was to be the final resting place of the pioneers who led the way in the settlement of this once wilderness. But of late years a number of removals have been made from thence to Green Lawn, amongst whom were the remains of Lucas Sullivant and wife, Lyne Starling, and General Foos and wife. But still the Franklinton graveyard is a rather neat and handsome village cemetery, and is well calculated to call up a train of solemn and interesting reflections as any other spot of ground in the county.”
Today the beautiful park like area that comprises Old Franklinton Cemetery is nestled in the heart of an industrial area in the Franklinton neighborhood of Columbus and is surrounded by a more recent stone wall. It is the probably the oldest cemetery in Franklin County as the first burial took place in 1799 when the village of Franklinton was only two years old. It is situated on land that was donated by the Lucas Sullivant, founder of Franklinton. One thing not mentioned by William Martin's 1858 history is that, according to the inscription on the monument which was erected in the center of the cemetery it is also the site of the first church in Franklinton. The monument was erected in 1931 by the West Side Board of Trade in memory of the “Pioneers and Lucas Sullivant.” And in 1962 the Columbus sesquicentennial committee erected a Historical Marker near one entrance to the cemetery.
(Click on the underlined name to view the tombstone photograph)
NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the .
This beautiful background came from:
This site is owned & maintained by