The "Colored" Graveyard
In 1872, according to Studer's history, "a
section of the grounds was set apart for the use of colored citizens" at
Greenlawn Cemetery. This was the western part of Section 27, which at that
time was in the corner of the property. This obivated the need for a
separate graveyard for the Black citizens and a few years later their
private burial ground was cleared and sold.
In 18813 the
Trustees of the "Union Cemetery of the County of Franklin and State of
Ohio" filed suit in the Franklin County Common Pleas Court against the
heirs of Henry Briggs and successfully quieted the title to the plot of
ground. (The decree was dated Dec. 15, 1882.) At first it appeared from
this suit that the ground had somehow become the property of the Union
Cemetery Association in Clinton Township, but no deed or other instrument
transferring the property to that body could be found. The common pleas
case was little help in solving this apparent riddle, because the original
case files have all been disposed of and this case was never copied into
the Complete Record.
The trustees who sold the property in 1885
were John F. Ward, Albert Baker, Willis Mitchell, Jeremiah Dickey, Charles
Davis, and William H. Roney. An investigation into the origins of the
Union Cemetery in Clinton Township turned up its record of incorporation
in Franklin County Incorporation Record I, page 334, and dated 1879. The
names of its thirteen trustees, listed in the incorporation record, were
entirely different from those in the deed of sale of the "Colored"
graveyard. It became obvious that there were two "Union Cemetery"
associations in the county. Upon checking the 1880 census and city
directory, all of the men mentioned above as trustees appear to be Black
citizens of Columbus, living in the area of Fifth and Sixth, Broad, Gay,
and Long streets. These men apparently represent the group of families for
whom the Franklin Township land was purchased in 1849. Several of them
were owners of lots in the western portion of Section 27 at Greenlawn.
On December 22, 1885, the trustees sold the
land to John M. Reaver.4 John Reaver farmed
the land for a few years and in 1892 sold it to Joseph M. Briggs. In 1895
Briggs subdivided it into "Briggs' Brown Road Subdivision," the lots on
both sides of Ransburg avenue near Brown Road.
The graves and monuments in the old
graveyard were moved onto privately owned lots in the western portion of
Section 27 at Greenlawn, only about a thousand feet from their original
resting place. The names on the tombstones and monuments in Section 27
which appear to have been moved in from the old Union Cemetery are
included in the Consolidated List, along with a few removals noted in the
lot book. When the WPA undertook a survey of cemeteries in the county, a
tiny tract of just 0.005 acre (barely enough for ten graves!) 200 feet
from Brown road was located and identified as the graveyard of the
"Colored Cemetery Association."
47
|