History of the East and South Graveyards
the county graveyard was used only or primarily for
the burial of paupers or others who could not afford to be buried at Green
Lawn. This was no doubt due to the presence of the pest house there; most
people tried to avoid that place of disease and this made the graveyard
site undesirable.
The opening of the new County Infirmary near
Alum Creek, with its own cemetery, made the High street property
unnecessary. At a meeting of the county commissioners held on May 18, 1893
the entire tract was declared to be surplus and on the same day was sold
to Frank J. Reinhard and Jared P. Bliss for $12,000.33 The tract was platted as Johnson's South
Grove Addition34 in 1898 but the lots did
not sell well and most of the plat was vacated in 1912.35 The Johnsons then sold off the land in larger
tracts but were unable to sell the graveyard until 1938.36 A lane entering the group of new tracts from
the south ran along the west side of the graveyard. This eventually became
Fifth street. By this time the tombstones, what few there were, had
disappeared and the fact that it had been a graveyard was being forgotten.
The graveyard was divided into four lots on
which houses were built beginning in 1950. Graves were found when the
basements were dug for these houses. With the construction of State Route
104 east of High street in the 1960's, a new entrance to Fifth street was
needed. To serve this purpose, the southern-most of the lots which had
been formed from the graveyard was partially paved and is now used as a
street. In 1984, a tombstone dated 1854, apparently moved from the East
Graveyard in 1882, was found a short distance below the surface of the
ground.37
NOTES
1. Studer, 226
2. Journal
1/319
3. Journal 1/373
4.
Journal 1/374
5. Deed 20/212
6. Dispatch Aug. 16, 1882
7.
Studer, 226
8. Journal 11/3,59,152,225,300,385;
111/101,206; IV/44,421; V/205; VI/86
9. Journal
11/294
10. Journal 11/221,294; 111/22,331; VI/226
11. Journal 111/91
12.
Journal 111/139
13. Raphael, Marc Lee, Jews and Judaism in a Midwestern Community: Columbus,
Ohio, 1840-1975; Columbus: Ohio Historical Society, 1979; pages 64,
65, 72, 73, and 76. Franklin County Deed Record, 46/435, 104/269, and
152/234.
14. Studer, 226
44
|