History of the East and South Graveyards
The purchase was completed on February 13,
1839. Though the council committee had indicated that the land would be
purchased from councilman Greenwood, it was in fact purchased from Matthew
King and his wife Phoebe, who had purchased it from E. W. Gwynn just two
weeks earlier.5 As payment, the Kings
accepted twenty-five dollars in cash and eleven hundred dollard in notes
drawn on the city treasury. The lot contained eleven and one quarter
acres, but that figure included all of the land out to the middle of the
Livingston road. Today's park, with losses to adjacent streets, contains
nine and one half acres.
A portion of the land was laid out in lots
and sold by the city to citizens for the use of their families. About one
third of it was never laid off because it was too low, swampy, and wet.
Even the portions which were used were wet; as late as 1882 when removals
were being made, workmen found all of the first graves opened to be full
of ground water.6 The other part of the
land was used as a public burying place, principally by Germans in the
early years.? The public portion of the
ground was in the rear and included the north-eastern corner, where the
first burials were made.
The South Graveyard, like the North, was
operated under a superintendent (a member of council) and a sexton, who
were appointed by council each spring, with duties as described for these
positions in the North Graveyard history. The sextons who served at the
South Graveyard through 1860 were James McDonald, Titus Richards, Conrad
Pfeifer, John Fronenburgh, and Frederick Roll.8
As with the North Graveyard, the purchaser
of a lot in the South Graveyard was given a receipt by the superintendent,
which was taken to the mayor who wrote a deed for the lot. Ten such deeds
were recorded at the court house, the earliest bearing the date of October
28, 1841 and the latest April 3, 1860. Two additional names of lot owners
were recorded in Cornelius Jacobs' report as superintendent 'in the spring
of 1846.9 All of these appear in the
consolidated list. Sales were slow and seem to have gradually dwindled to
practically none by 1860. The surviving superintendents' reports show the
following numbers of lots sold: April of 1845, 16 lots in the previous
twelve months; 1846, two; 1847, seven; 1851, nine, including one
fractional lot; 1858, one lot sold.10 By
this time, of course, most purchases of new lots were being made at
Greenlawn Cemetery.
In March of 1849, about the same time that
the dead house was being built at the North Graveyard, council gave
permission to George Krell, a carpenter, to erect a dead house in the
South Graveyard, under the direction of the superintendent.11 The 1872 Franklin County atlas shows a
building, undoubtedly this "dead house," in the graveyard just east of the
entrance on Livingston avenue; the entrance was opposite the present
Seventeenth street. Also in 1849, a communication was received from the
County Commissioners, asking
38
|