History of the North Graveyard
On another day the paper remarked,
It is curious to note with what a
difference of feeling this work
is being viewed by visitors. To some it possesses only a curious attraction, such as one
might feel in discovering
relics of a by-gone age, while to others more sensitively inclined, it seems to recall
the mortality of our poor
humanity with a forceful idea, and the mind is busy with thoughts of its own future, as
connected with the body in which it
dwells. Men who are among the gayest of the gay and most careless a hundred yards from this
lonely city of the dead,
walk with a softened tread and draw the breath softly when looking upon all that remains
of forms that once stood
erect, and were as full of life and vigor as their own. The full force of the text is here
realized, that as "dust thou
art, and unto dust shalt thou return."
A total of 329 graves were removed from the
one hundred foot strip of ground, at a cost of $2,751.5048 leaving for the city nearly $12,000 of the
money paid by the railroad. The railroad had men working in the cleared
ground by early June and soon was erecting a temporary depot, to serve
until the new Union Depot would be completed.
Remarks by the extant newspapers of the era
concerning individuals removed are included in the Consolidated list.
Green Lawn Cemetery has no records of these removals which were completed
under the authority of the court and not by their own employees; their lot
books contain only some of the names of those former North Graveyard lot
owners in whose names the new lots were purchased. Such lots which have
been located have been checked for tombstones and any inscriptions found
have also been included in the consolidated list.
THE DOHERTY TRACT CLEARED
Elias Gaver and his fellow-plaintiffs
against the City of Columbus filed a supplemental petition on June 11,
1872, in which they admitted that the North Graveyard was by that time
unfit for use as a burial ground and asked that the entire Doherty tract
be cleared, subdivided, and sold within three years to pay for the
removals. All of the parties in the suit agreed to this and in January,
1873 John Graham was ordered to proceed with the removals and 0. P. Hines
was appointed Master Commissioner to subdivide the land into building lots
after the removals were completed.49 By
this time the subject was losing its immediate interest to the citizens
and the newspapers did not cover this more extensive removal with the same
complete coverage that they had given to the earlier one. Two paragraphs
in the Daily Dispatch of May 17 and June 5
indicate that the removals were taking
25
|