History of the North Graveyard
filling up the swamp in the North Grave
Yard, got into a fix yesterday by plunging off into the swampy mire of that locality. After considerable trouble and plunging,
they again reached terra firma.
Additional filling to the amount of 334 loads of dirt was done by Patrick Kelly for a price of $40.08 in the year ending in the
spring of 1871.
REMOVALS OF 1872
Though not remarked as such, the beginning
of the end of the North Graveyard was signalled by the formation of the
Union Depot Company in the spring of 1868. The tract of land across High
street from the North Graveyard had been chosen as the site of the first
railroad station in Columbus by the directors of the Cleveland, Columbus
and Cincinnati and Columbus and Xenia railroads in 1848. The frame
stationhouse, accomodating three tracks, was erected in 1850. In April and
May of 1868 the Union Depot Company was formed by the successors of these
two railroads with the intention of erecting a depot for the use of "all
lines of railroad now or hereafter constructed, terminating at or passing
through the city of Columbus." This site thus became the target of all new
rail lines entering the city, which were beginning to proliferate in the
late 1860's.
In order to gain access to this new depot,
the Columbus, Springfield and Cincinnati Railroad filed suit in the
Franklin County Probate Court on January 19, 1871 to appropriate the
southern one hundred feet of the North Graveyard. The suit was filed
against the city, as owner in fee of the property, and was quickly
decided, with the result that the railroad placed $14,625 in the hands of
the court for the property on January 26. Previous to the filing of this
case, the Columbus, Chicago and Indiana Central Railway Company, assuming
that the lot-owners had some legal right in fee to their lots, had been
negotiating with them individually with the ultimate goal of acquiring the
entire Doherty tract for the same purpose of access to the Union
Depot.45This company also filed suit in the Probate Court in January,
1871, to appropriate the entire graveyard. This suit was later abandoned
when the land was tied up by the suit in Common Pleas Court, as described
below.
As a result of the actions of the railroad
companies, two suits were filed in the Franklin County Common Pleas Court.
First, John M. Kerr, son of the grantor of the Kerr tract, filed a suit of
ejectment against the City of Columbus, on the grounds that the city had
abandoned it as a burying ground. The second and by far more interesting
suit was filed on March 6, 1871 against the city, both railroads, and the
heirs of William Doherty by Elias Gaver, Chester Johnson, and Horton
Howard "for themselves and numerous others in like situation" who were lot
owners in the Doherty tract.
23
|