History of the North Graveyard
The reaction of the citizens in complaining
against the ordinance was as swift as the action of council had been in
passing it. One letter which appeared in the Ohio State Journal is
illustrative of the feelings of the people and also shows that the Council
had acted in such haste, without the advice of its attorney, that the
ordinance may have been easily overturned in court:
When the old burying ground was laid out
into lots, a good many years
ago, most of the older citizens purchased burying places there, paid their money, and
received conveyences from the
city. Ever since that time, many of them have been looking at that spot, and taking pains with
it, as for their final
resting place along with kindred and friends already sleeping there a little before them.
Now, if those of us who still remain behind
are to be prohibited from being buried there, by the present City Council, it certainly would be a very kind thing in
that wise body to tell us where we really shall be buried at last, and what we may do with the lots the City Council sold us, and still hold our money for.
The City Solicitor [James A. Wilcox] is
absent, and his views are said to be unknown; but that this late so-called ORDINANCE is a mere nullity, and that all
persons, rich and poor, high and low, may, if they choose, avoid the inconvenience and expense of other cemeteries, and
still go on and bury their dead in peace, without let or hindrance, in their own lots, up in the Old Burying Ground, is
the very clear opinion of
the
CITY SOLICITOR'S FATHER39
The writer was Yale-educated Phineas B.
Wilcox (1790-1863), who "was for more than forty years one of the foremost
lawyers, standing in the front rank with the great legal lights of that
period in Ohio."40 A bill to repeal the
ordinance was introduced on August 4 and passed on August 18th.
Subsequent to the defeat of this move for
closure, those seeking the retention and improvement of the ground moved
forward again. On October 13 the petition of Stanton Sholes, "praying a
further protection of the North Graveyard by putting around the same, a
stone wall, or iron fence," was presented to council. Superintendent Noble
reported in favor of the action, if funds could be found without using tax
money.41 The sale of lots had been
continued after passage of the repealing ordinance in 1856, the last deed
on record at the Court House bearing the date of October 30, 1857, but the
remaining lots were too few for their sale to generate any substantial
amount of money. The proposed improvement apparently was never made,
though a considerable expense of $301.91 was incurred in the year ending
April 20
20
|