History of the North Graveyard
14 Eliza Middleton
15
Frederick Bennignus, October 10, 1845
16
Julius Graves, October 10, 1845
17 John
Otstot, October 21, 1845
Brickell later sold lot number 1 to William
Knoderer and lot number 5 to August Knoderer, both on October 30,
1846.22
COMPLETION
In the late 1840's the North Graveyard
reached what might be called a plateau of maturity or completion. The
opening of the South Graveyard in 1841 and the Catholic Cemetery in 1846
took the pressure off of the old graveyard and it was never expanded
beyond the Brickell Addition. A new "Ordinance respecting the Grave Yards
of the City of Columbus," passed July 30, 1846, made no major changes in
its operation, except in requiring the sexton to "keep a list of all
interments specifying the age, sex, etc. as may be directed by the
Council, and report the same to the Superintendent in April annually." No
such reports are now extant.
City Council in 1848 appropriated four lots
or ground equal to that in the North Graveyard to A. M. Reader, a Columbus
undertaker, "for the purpose of erecting a suitable House to keep dead
bodies in" and appointed a committee to select the ground.23 This building could have measured up to thirty
by sixty feet, the size of four lots. The building was erected and was
still in use in 1872, as reported in the Ohio State Journal during one of
the removals: "The remains thus far taken up have been placed in the
dead-house, until such time as it shall be convenient to remove them to
... Green Lawn."24
Later in 1848, on August 14, Council passed
another graveyard ordinance, authorizing the superintendent to "lay out
some lots off the avenues and other places in said grave-yard, and sell
them at what they may be worth, regarding their size and location ... and
the sexton of the North Grave-yard shall not bury any person in any lot,
without the consent of the owner, nor in any place laid out in lots
(unless such lots have been sold) without the consent of the city
council..." That Mr. McCoy laid out such lots is apparent from three deeds
recorded at the court house, by which lots 525, 529, and 532 were sold in
1849 and 1851 for eight dollars each. The plat of the south one hundred
feet of the graveyard made in 1872 shows tombstones in the western
roadway, indicating that it, at least, was laid off into lots and at least
one of these lots was sold and used for burials.
The report of Superintendent McCoy for the
year ending April 15, 1849 showed "that he has sold lots and collected up
to the 15th of April 1849" $330.71 and that he had expended $258.88,
leaving a balance of $71.13. He also reported that some small
accounts
16
|