History of the North Graveyard
through the intervening land.
One of the four proprietors of
Columbus, John Kerr, had been named agent of the proprietors' association
in April of 1813 and was authorized to execute a deed conveying the
graveyard property to the borough. That he failed to execute such a deed
at that time has been often remarked, without explanation. In fact, he was
prevented from conveying the property by the non-existence of any legally
constituted body to receive the gift; the borough of Columbus was not
incorporated until 1816, by which time Kerr had declined any longer
service as agent of the association and had been replaced as such by Henry
Brown. The ground therefore, though dedicated and used as a graveyard,
remained in private hands for some time.
The early years of Columbus were
troubled by the War of 1812 and the ensuing depression. It was not until
1820 that the Borough Council began to take in hand any but the most
essential of its responsibilities. Accordingly, it was not until May 8 of
that year that council instructed the mayor to enquire into the title to
the graveyard and to obtain a proper deed for it.2 By that time title to
the property had passed to John Kerr, the same original proprietor of the
town and agent who had been authorized previously to convey the tract to
the borough. John Kerr and Mary his wife conveyed the tract to the Mayor
and Council of the Borough of Columbus in return for one dollar on June 6,
1821, as a public burial ground. Since the land, after dissolution of the
proprietors' association, had become the private property of the Kerrs,
the deed included a clause whereby the ground would revert to themselves
or their heirs if it ceased to be used for burial purposes.
In addition, in 1820 the Council
appointed John Kerr to present a petition to the County Commissioners to
view and open a road from Columbus to the graveyard.3 What became of this
petition is not known, but in 1823 the commissioners responded to a
petition of Samuel Cumming and others and laid out a road about where
North Park street is now located.4 It ran "from a point in the town of
Columbus near the north end of Front Street, to intersect the road leading
from Wilcox's tavern near the South line of John Starr's farm with the
ostencible view of securing the approach to the grave-yard or
burying-ground, as well from the North as the South." This road remained
in use for seven years; it was vacated in 1830 on petition of Lincoln
Goodale when expansion of the graveyard made access from High street
possible.
It was not until October 18, 1824
that the use and operation of the graveyard was formalized by the Council.
An ordinance passed on that date provided for the appointment of a sexton,
to "remain in office during the pleasure of the Council." The sexton's
duties were:
to hold himself in readiness at all
times, when called on, to dig graves, and to arrange in as regular order, as the
8
|