Franklin County, Ohio
Ayers Cemetery was established in 1820 on 0.13 acre land that is located on the west side of Darling Road just north of Havens Road. The Ayers family took possession of the land in 1819; so it would seem the need for a place to bury family or friends came soon after. The plat map of the cemetery indicates that there is space for 126 burials in this tiny cemetery, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that it was full. There are many shards of broken stones. Early graves were often marked with wooden crosses or boards and some were never marked at all. Time has taken its toll and this cemetery, like so many others, has probably suffered at the hands of uncaring humans, too. There are no known veteran interments in this cemetery. Ayers Cemetery is maintained by the Jefferson Township Trustees.
Thanks to the generosity of Jefferson Township a complete list (2013) of all burials and lot owners is now available and should be updated regularly: Jefferson Township Cemetery Records
This page contains a complete photographic inventory of the gravestones that remained on October 14, 2007. Some information is taken from a 1938 reading of the gravestones and will appear in brackets ([ ]).
Aerial Photo of Cemetery,
(Click on the underlined name to view the photograph)
- Eliza, wife of Job, died Apr 29, 1861, aged 57y 2m 20d and Job, died Mar 21, 1877, aged 77y 7m 23d (Whole stone)
- Ezekiel W., died Jan 10, 1891, aged 60y 1m 17d, (I.O.O.F. Emblem) and Mary B., wife of E W, died Apr 29, 1905, aged 74y 8m 14d (Whole stone)
- John Johnson, son of Job & Eliza, died Sept 25, 1841, aged 5 years 9 m & 22 d
- In memory of Mary, wife of Thomas, who died Apr 2, 18__, aged 88 yrs 1m 24 ds (Larger view)
- In memory of Thomas, who departed this life, Dec 26, 1847, aged 79 yrs 11 mos 12 days (As we found it)
- Browning, In memory of, Huldah, daughter of Isaac & Sarah, who died Aug 20th 1840, aged 2 years 7 mo & 5 days (Whole stone)
- Carlock, In memory of, Shadrach B., who died Feb 28, 1848, aged 39 years 2 mo & 10 days
- Farber, William, died Sept 21, 1821, aged 32 years 4 months & 17 days
- Fisher, Job Albertis, son of Thomas B. & Matilda, . . .
- Elijah, son of Elijah & Mary, died [Sept 30, 1846, aged 21y 7m]
- Joana, died Aug 1846 in her 95 yr
- Freeze, Daniel, died Feb 18, 1859, aged 75 yrs & 5 mo
- Hanna, In memory of Andrew, who died April 10 AD 1840 aged 75 yr 6 mo & 15 ds
- Hardin (These three were sided by side and are listed in order photographed)
- Hartman, James B., son of [Benjamin] & Margaret, died April 25, 1848, aged 9 mo & 1 day (Larger view)
- Kelso, John, died Oct 15, 1848, . . .
- Amba, died Aug 4, 1854, aged 75 ys 5 mo & 20 ds
- Sidney, son of Shuah & Nancy, died [Feb 13, 1846, aged 18y 4m 24d]
- Squire, Susan, wife of Jesse, died Aug 2, 1835(?), aged 6_ years & 15 days
- Webb, In memory of Elizabeth, wife of Elijah, who died April 7th 1847, aged 31 years 5 mo & 6 ds
- Wigfield, Sarah, wife of Wm, died March 5, 1848, aged [57 ys 1 mo] & 15 ds (Whole stone)