long a resident of Blendon township, at the Alum creek bridge, on the turnpike between Westerville and Columbus, was born in Brown township, Delaware county, Ohio, October 7, 1830. He was the son of Charles and Louisa Vincent, who were emigrants from France to this country. His mental training, in a formal way, was received solely in the district schools of Delaware and Franklin counties. In 1846 or 1847 he came, with his parents, to the lower part of Blendon township, about two miles from the home now occupied by his widow. He remained with them during his young manhood, laboring on the farm until his nineteenth year, when he learned the carpenter's trade, which he chiefly pursued thenceforth, and a year or two after the war of the Rebellion broke out, he was appointed general superintendent of building at Camp Chase, near Columbus, and served in this capacity nearly two years—-so long as needed by the maintenance of the war. He then retired to a farm he had purchased three miles north of Westerville, and engaged in farming. After remaining three years, he sold the place and went to reside on the farm on Alum creek, where he died on the thirteenth of June, 1879. For the last five years before his death, he was honored with successive appointments as general superientendent of the State fairs at Columbus. He was held in high esteem for his business ability and his many excellent qualities of character, and numbered a host of friends. In 1853—November 24—he was married to Miss Lauretta C. Phelps, of the same neighborhood, who is the subject of the following notice.
MRS. LAURETTA C. (PHELPS) VINCENT,
wife of the late Nathan S. Vincent, of Blendon township, was born at the old homestead, occupied for many years by her father and mother, Edward and Elizabeth (Jameson) Phelps, in that township. The date of her birth was September 18, 1835. Her parents removed to this part of Ohio from Hartford, Connecticut, in 1806, and were among the very first settlers in the region. She took the usual round of pioneer education in the country schools, and spent a year (1851-2) in Central College, then in charge of Professor Levi Wilson. After that she remained in the quiet life of home until united in the bonds of matrimony with Mr. Vincent, as before noted, to whom she remained a loving and faithful wife, through all his labors and cares, until death separated them. She now owns and occupies the homestead last purchased by him, two and a half miles south of Westerville. All the children of her marriage—seven sons and one daughter—are still surviving, and,all reside with their mother, the oldest being twenty-four, and the youngest six years old. Their names, in the order of birth, are: Charles E., born December 9, 1855; Chauncey P.; born November 19, 1857; Corwin T., born December 24, 1859; Carrie F., born October 14, 1862; Joseph C., born March 26, 1866; William F., born February 14, 1868; Freddie, born March 6, 1871; and Walter B., born July 14, 1873.
NOTICE: This electronic page may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the .