Return to Main Page
CHRISTIAN F. JAEGER
The subject of this sketch, Christian Frederick Jaeger, was born in Heiligenrode, in Hesse Cassel, Germany, August 11, 1795. His parents were Rev. John Justus Jaeger, a minister of the German Reformed church, and Maria Jaeger. When but four years of age, his father died, and his mother moved, with her children, to Hesse Cassel, where they were educated. In 1811, his mother was enabled to procure his admittance into the Westphalian Artillery school, where he pursued military studies, under able instructors, until 1812 or 1813, when the French were driven out of the city by a Russian corps, under the brave General Zernicheff. On their departure, the young artillery soldier determined to follow them, and join the allied forces of his native land, which he was able to do after the battle of Leipzig. The Kur-Hessian army was organized, and formed a part of the north German allied army, and young Jaeger was commissioned a second lieutenant. His superior officer was the celebrated Kleistfun Nollendorf. The German army pursued the enemy into French territory, but the corps to which he was attached took no active part in any severe battles. After the signing of the treaty of Paris, by which peace became assured, he returned to his native country, where he continued in the service, as an officer of the Kur-Hessian army. He was successively promoted to first lieutenant and captain, and was made commandant of the flying artillery corps, in which he served until 1832, when, by his own request, he was relieved from further service. By the document accepting of his resignation, he is granted the privilege of re-entering the service at any time. The following is an accurate copy of the acceptance of his resignation, and is signed by the reigning prince of Hess Cassel.
Christian Frederick Jaeger was married in 1821 to Johanna Henrietta Brauer, who was born January 28, 1799, and died in Columbus, February 10, 1868. Mr. and Mrs. Jaeger, with their children, emigrated to America in 1834, leaving Germany in April, and arriving in New York the third of July. Their intention was to proceed to Missouri and there make a home. With this destination in view, they took a steamboat on the Hudson river, after about a week's delay in New York, and journeyed to Albany. They then traveled, on the first horse railway built in the country, to Schenectady, from Schenectady, by canal, to Buffalo; then by steamer, on Lake Erie, to Cleveland, where they again embarked on a canal boat, having for fellow-passengers, a part of the way, a flock of sheep. When they arrived at Lockbourne, they found that the feeder of the canal was broken, and boats could not come up to Columbus. A large wagon was procured, in which the children and the baggage were loaded, while those strong enough to walk footed it to Columbus. The entire journey consumed three weeks. After they had arrived in Columbus, it was deemed best to proceed no further west, as the cholera was raging with great violence at the time. Several months after arriving here, Mr. Jaeger made a purchase of one hundred and forty acres of land, on what is now the south part of the principal street of the city. Here Mr. Jaeger has since lived, in a house built and occupied by Governor Lucas, many years since. The extension of the city to the south, has brought this property within the city limits, and has largely increased its value. A considerable portion of it has since been sold, but there yet remain of the original farm sixty-five acres, which has not been surveyed into city lots.
NOTICE: This electronic page may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the .
This site is owned and maintained by Leona L. Gustafson