Background, page design, and transcription format 2003 - 2009 Leona L. Gustafson


Return to Main Page

THE GRAHAM FAMILY
Page 467

About the year 1774, John and William Graham, with their families left County Down, Ireland, near Belfast, and undertook the journey to America. A long and tedious voyage of sixteen weeks intervened between the time they left the shores of their native country and their arrival in New York city. They made a settlement in Washington county, New York, near the present village of Shushan, at that time called Sodom. Here they joined what is known as the Seceders' church, of which William Graham was made elder. John Graham had one son, also named John, and two daughters, all of whom settled in western New York.

William Graham and his wife, whose maiden name was Mary McBurney, lost several of their children during their long voyage, and after settling in America they had four more born to them--John, George, Nancy, and Jane. In 1817, the entire family emigrated to Ohio, and made a settlement in Truro township, where William Graham and his son soon died.

Their son, George, married Anna Cowden, of Cambridge, New York, in December, 1790. He was born June 2, 1777, in Salem, Washington county, New York, and his wife, June 30, 1779, in Pelham, Massachusetts. To them were born twelve children, as follows: [David*] William G., James, John, Sarah, Susan, Mary, Ann, Levi, Isaac, Nancy, and Amos. His wife's sister, Margaret Cowden, accompanied them in their journey to Ohio, in 1817. They traveled eight weeks, in a two horse wagon, before reaching their destination, in Truro township, Franklin county, where Mr. Graham bought two hundred and seven acres of land located a mile and a quarter northeast of Reynoldsburg. They suffered many privations and hardships in the new country, where there were few roads except corduroy, no bridges, mills far distant and poor at that, fevers and ague very prevalent, and doctors few and far between. Houses were made of logs, with a hewed puncheon floor, the roof covered with clapboards, and barely a nail used in their construction.

David Graham, the first child of George and Anna Graham, was born February 17, 1801, at their old home in New York. When a young man, in 1819, he taught school on his father's farm. On the twentieth of December, 1821, he was married to Nancy Graham, of Truro township, and settled on a lot of fifty acres, given him by his father. This land he cleared and occupied until 1854, when he engaged in business at Taylor's station, on the Baltimore & Ohio railroad. Later, he bought a dry goods store at Reynoldsburg, and associated his son with him, where he remained twenty-one years. He dow [sic.] lives on a small farm near the village. To David and Nancy Graham were born ten children, as follows: Matilda D., Maria, Samuel, James McLean, William B., Sarah J., David L., Margaret, George McB., and Anna M.

Margaret Graham was born, August 9, 1837, and was married to Josiah R. Lunn, October 9, 1856. To them have been born seven children--Benjamin V., Nancy I., Elizabeth E., Alice, Estella, David J., and DeWitt B., all of whom are living at their home.

*David Graham does not appear on the list of children in the original.

TOP


NOTICE: This electronic page may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the .