Background, page design, and transcription format 2003 - 20078 Leona L. Gustafson


Return to Main Page

ALONZO BLAIR, M. D.,
Page 483
Portrait

the nestor, and in his prime, the leading Homoeopathic practitioner of medicine in Ohio, now a resident of Westerville, was born the son of Luther Blair, a farmer of Becket township, Berkshire county, Massachusetts, March 13, 1806. He received his academic education in the district schools of his native place and at Lenox academy, where he spent a year or two in faithful study. Determining to study medicine, he began to read in the office of Dr. John Cornell, in Schoharie, New York, and afterwards attended medical lectures at the Berkshire medical institute, a department of Williams college, kept in Pittsfield Massachusetts. Completing his preliminary studies at the age of twenty-two, he opened an office in Schoharie, but shortly after, in 1837, removed to Ohio, and settled at Newark, Licking county, where he again began the practice of his profession. At the expiration of seven years, he removed to Columbus, where he continued in practice until July, 1861, when he transferred his residence to Cleveland. He had, for a year or two previous, been delivering lectures from the chair of materia medica in the Homoeopathic medical college in that city, and upon his removal there, assumed the position, in the same institution, of Professor of the Principles and Practice of Medicine. About five years afterwards, he was elected to the presidency of the college, and retained this important post for several years, when he resigned to devote himself solely to his lucractive and increasing practice. He was, for a time, president of the State Homoeopathic Medical society, and has been a prominent member of several other professional bodies. He was also physician to the orphan asylum in Cleveland, and while in Columbus tendered similar services to the home for the friendless, and was also there a member of the city council for one term. He served the government and the disable soldiers in Cleveland for some years a pension surgeon. He was the first physician in Central Ohio to take a decided and permanent stand as a Homoeopathist, and is known throughout the region and Northern Ohio as the father of Homoeopathy in the Buckeye State. In 1876 Mr. Blair removed back to Columbus, and spent two years there, when, feeling the increasing weight of years and bodily infirmites [sic.], he retired to the quiet of a farm, purchased by him near Westerville, and ultimately to a comfortable dwelling in the village, where he now resides with a son, greatly esteemed by the community, and peacefully awaiting the summons to his final reward. He is a Swedenborgian in religious faith, an old Liberty man in politics, and a Republican from the beginning of Republicanism, and has always manifested a hearty and active interest in temperance reform.

Dr. Blair was married in Schoharie, New York, September 9, 1826, to Miss Ann Maria Kroemer, who also still survives, at the advanced age of seventy-two. They have had four children, three of whom are still living--Dr. George H. Blair, a practitioner, formerly in Columbus and Cleveland, but now of Fairfield, Iowa; Dr. Giles F. Blair, who resides with his father, and practices in Westerville and the surrounding country; and Jeannette, now Mrs. F. A. Comstock, wife of a manufacturer in Columbus. All are happily settled in life, and have growing families.

TOP


NOTICE: This electronic page may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the .